Does your family live in the same house, yet, you feel like you are a million miles away from each other?
A lot of parents discuss with me the tragedy of not knowing who their daughter or their son really is. They remember their children when they were very connected with them, valuing their opinions and thoughts and council.
Now, the teen seem to be fine just coming and going in their own little world. A world that they have established through Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, and other social medias.
Here are 9 suggestions that may help.
1. Deuteronomy 6:4, “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:”
There is only one LORD. Keep this as the preeminent standard of the home. Establish definitively that Jesus Christ is the LORD of your home. He is the guardian. He is the one to go to for instruction and direction. Go to God, not Amazon Echo, Alexa.
2. Deuteronomy 6:5, “And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.”
Not only is Jesus The LORD of your home, but, make it known to your children that YOU, Dad and Mom, love Him. You are deeply in love with Him. He has all your heart, soul and might.
3. Deuteronomy 6:6, “And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:”
Make the Bible the main book of the home. The main book for all that you hope to accomplish. It is the only book that will be your guide throughout your children’s life. It is more up to date than tomorrow’s newspaper! Read the scripture. Memorize the scripture. Familiarize yourself with the scripture. Know where to turn in your Bible to answer questions, or teach character, or to straighten out problems in the home.
4. Deuteronomy 6:7, “And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.”
You are the teacher! It has never been God’s design for the church to be the sole teacher of your children. Nor is it up to the school to teach your children. In fact most schools that are not Christian Schools will do more damage to the family than help. As good as they could be in academics, they mostly are extremely lacking in the teaching of morality and wholesomeness. Teaching of holiness would never be allowed in the public school campuses.
5. Deuteronomy 6:8, “And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.”
Start taking a true biblical view of everything. Begin looking at every aspect of your family life and the world picture through the scriptures.
6. Deuteronomy 6:9, “And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.”
Put the word of God up everywhere! All around your house, inside and out. Let your neighbors and guests who come by know your home is saturated with the words of God.
7. Deuteronomy 6:10, 11, “And it shall be, when the LORD thy God shall have brought thee into the land which he sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give thee great and goodly cities, which thou buildedst not,
And houses full of all good things, which thou filledst not, and wells digged, which thou diggedst not, vineyards and olive trees, which thou plantedst not; when thou shalt have eaten and be full;”
When your family is blessed, always give God all the glory for it. Do not take credit for any of the provisions. Everything that you are blessed with comes from God, train your children in the manner of always praising The One from whom blessings flow.
8. Deuteronomy 6:12, “Then beware lest thou forget the LORD, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.”
Now that God has given you a newness in your home, do not get slack. Strengthen each other in memories of when and how God has provided for you. Rally around the memories of how God has renewed a freshness among your children and yourselves. Do not forget where God has brought you from.
9. Deuteronomy 6:13, “Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God, and serve him, and shalt swear by his name.”
Serve The LORD together as a family. Take the family soul winning together. Take them out to distribute tracts together. Pray together. Stay together.