If you have ever sought for a Counselor, you know there are many to choose from. There are specialty Counselors, and there are General Counselors. As there are many varieties of Counselors, how do you know you are choosing the right one? This post is dedicated to tips in choosing the right counsel.
- Do not choose based on price point. Just because a Counselor is more expensive than others, does not necessarily mean that they are the best choice. Just because a Counselor allows for a donation basis of pay, does not mean he or she should be overlooked as an option.
- Do not choose based on convenience. While it would be great to find one just down the road from you, please consider that the right one may be an hour or more from your residence.
- Get referrals. If you can talk to clients of Counselors, this would open up a good door for you to ask questions as to how they Counsel, or how the person feels the Counselor really connects with them.
- Look for a real connection. Does the Counselor seem rushed while you are visiting, or are they very calm and interested in YOU. YOU are the one needing someone to listen and give feedback.
- Do they know Jesus Christ. Not if they know ABOUT Jesus Christ, but do they know Him as their Saviour. This is very important because, if they do not know the Healer, how can they help you in your healing? Isaiah 9:6, “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” God is the Counsellor. He made us, and He knows how to help and heal us. A Counselor that know THE COUNSELLOR is one who will counsel you from the Bible, and give guidance from God’s point of view.