Study on Suicide
1 Kings 19:4, “But he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers.”
A spiritual battle takes place every day between light and dark, and suicide risk is a battleground. Studies show suicide is on the increase with attempts outnumbering completions.
A. The Battle
1. Suicide is the battleground in the battle between dark and light.
2. Satan has a hand in convincing people they want to take their own lives.
3. Much of the healing involved in suicide is of a spiritual nature.
B. Attempts vs. Completion
1. An infinitely larger number of people attempt suicide than complete suicide.
2. It is estimated that there are 864,950 suicide attempts each year.
3. Many attempts are not reported.
C. Who is at risk?
1. For youth between the ages of 10-24, suicide is now the third leading cause of death.
2. The top three mehods used in suicides of young people include firearms (45%), suffocation (40%), and poisoning (8%)
3. More survive suicide attempts than actually die.
a. A nationwide survey of youth in grades 9-12 in public and private schools in the United States found that 16% of students reported seriously considering suicide, 13% reported creating a plan, and 8% reported trying to take their own lives.
4. Girls are three times more likely to attempt suicide than boys.
5. Boys are more likely than girls to die from suicide
(This is due to boys being using more aggressive means such as firearms or hanging; while girls usually will use slower, less aggressive means such as pills)